Frequently Asked Questions

The government pays for part of a family's rent when they live in subsidized housing. The most common types of subsidized housing are Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers, previously called Section 8.

Public Housing is owned and operated by the government. It is usually apartment complexes. Public Housing is for eligible low-income, elderly, and disabled persons. Typically, you apply for housing through your local Housing Agency. If you are accepted, the agency will either place you on the waiting list or place you in housing if it is currently available. If you are denied, you can appeal and ask for a hearing to discuss the denial.

Tenant based HCV gives you a "voucher" which can be used to rent any kind of housing (house, apartment, condominium or mobile home) and with any landlord that is willing to accept it. If you receive a voucher, you then have to go look for a home yourself. There are time limits for finding a home and the voucher can expire if you do not find a home in time. If you find someplace you want to rent and the landlord is willing to accept your voucher, you then notify the Housing Manager. If the home meets housing quality standards, reasonable rent standards, and other program requirements, then HCV should accept the home you found. If you decide to move and are in good standing, your voucher goes with you and you can look for a new home to rent.
For persons who, as a result of national origin, do not speak English as their primary language and who have limited ability to speak, read, write, or understand. For purposes of Title VI and the LEP guidance, persons may be entitled to language assistance with respect to a particular HA service or encounter.

Your rent would be based on your family's anticipated gross annual income minus deductions, if any.

Based on your application, a GMHA representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older. The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:

30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);

10 percent of monthly income;

$50 minimum rent; or

Flat rents
No, you will need to submit an application to be on the waiting list.
Approximate waitlist times vary by bedroom size, type of unit, and admission preferences. GMHA will contact you once your name reaches the top of the waiting list for the appropriate bedroom size. You should contact GMHA if there is a change in your address or in any other information previously provided to CMHA that might affect your waitlist status.
Yes, however, there is a pet policy. You will need to contact your housing manager.
Rent is due on the 1st of every month. There is a grace period until the 5th of the month at 4:30. If received after the 5th a late charge of $25.00 will be applied.
Contact the GMHA office at 440-286-7413 x100. Follow the prompts to leave a work order.
If you are locked out of your unit, you will need to contact a locksmith at your cost. For other emergencies that require medical assistance and or law enforcement call 9-1-1.

You will need to submit this change in writing to your Housing Manage within 10 days of the change. This includes all increase/decrease of income, child support, unemployment, etc. Failure to report in a timely manner may be considered fraud. You will be responsible for any back debts due to the changes. Also, changes in your favor, may not be refunded to you.

No one can be added to the lease without approval from the Housing Manger. Anyone 18+ will need to complete an application and background check. All new births will require a verification of birth and to submit a social security card and birth certificate.